Uber blogger Ariel Adams looks at the new CLERC Hydroscaph H140 Carbon under every possible angle and has this to say about it.
UPDATE: The H140 is now available in Japan and the USA (Los Angeles, CA • Naples, FL • Scottsdale, AZ • Houston, TX).
140 years of innovation, and still pushing the boundaries of Swiss horology innovation. That’s the message behind CLERC’s latest addition to the Hydroscaph family, the all new Hydroscaph H140 Carbon Limited Edition.
This new anniversary Exploration Machine sports an exclusive CLERC C608 central-display chronograph movement and a high-tech Diamond-Like Carbon (DLC)-coated case with a unique CCFC carbon composite construction. A first in precision horology.
CCFC-like composites have been used in competition sailing, aeronautics, and Formula 1 racing applications. It’s a brand new material developed and produced exclusively for CLERC in Switzerland.
Composed of multiple 30 micron ultra-thin carbon fibre layers, CCFC is injected with resin and deposited in multiple layers, each weave at 45° from one another. After subsequent heating, the material is easier to machine than any other composite, allowing all sorts of creative high-precision manufacturing possibilities
Carbon CCFC is ideally suited for state-of-the-art technologies. Besides its unequalled toughness, CCFC is also aesthetically pleasing because the weaved carbon layers create mottled effects giving each case a unique and distinctive character.
Here’s a quick technical run-down of the H140:
• Exclusive C608 automatic central chronograph movement
• 51 jewels, 28’800 vib/h
• Hand-finished bridges
• 44-hour power reserve
• CCFC carbon and black DLC steel
• Grey Super-LumiNova
• 103 component construction
• Dimensions: 44.6 mm/ 49.6 mm including lateral protectors
• Piano-key pushers for chronograph control
• Rotating bezel with C|CLIP locking safety
• Expandable lugs
• dual pin fastening technology
• 4.0 mm glare-proof sapphire crystal
• Dual-port exhibition case-back
• Water resistant to 500 meters
• Vulcanized rubber
• Louisiana alligator
• Black with cool grey SuperLuminova applique markers
• 60 second counter at center
• 60 minute counter at center
• Day and night / 24hours indicator at 9 o’clock
• Small second counter at 3 o’clock
• Date window at 6 o’clock
The H140 comes with three strap options including vulcanized rubber, Louisiana alligator, and cordura. Roll out to retail locations worldwide started this week.